Monday 30 January 2012

Satire, The News Quiz, Camilla and Coronation Chicken


I learned most of the tiny bit I know about politics and business from an old Radio 4 satirical sketch show called Week Ending back in the 70s. Nowadays we have TV's Have I Got News For You, which teaches my kids all about politics and business. We also have the fantastic News Quiz (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006r9yq), again on Radio 4, which through the magic of podcasting means you no longer have to gather around a gramophone to listen. 

Through the News Quiz this week, I have carried on learning. First of all I found out that Camilla has launched the longest-titled competition in the world: The British Food Fortnight's Cook For The Queen's Diamond Jubilee competition. I also learned that Constance Spry invented Coronation Chicken for the Queen's coronation banquet in 1953. I thought it was invented by Heinz or someone like that. Through the magic of Wikipedia I found that Constance was a florist, but as it's Wiki it might be untrue (I'm still reeling from finding out that Norman Wisdom didn't write The White Cliffs of Dover), she might have been the inventor of cooking oil.

In Royal Factor I put in a line about Camilla looking a bit like Leonid Brezhnev. But I thought that was a bit nasty, so I took it out and put in something else instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment